Pullman WA Criminal Defense Attorney

Defending charges of DUI, MIP, drug possession, assaults, felonies, etc.

Will an MIP Show Up on a Criminal Background Check with the Washington State Patrol?

Leave a comment

If you are charged with an M.I.P, you may be offered a “deferred sentence.” In such a deal, a judge accepts your plea of guilty, but defers sentencing for a year, and at the end the judge may “permit a defendant to withdraw the plea of guilty and to enter a plea of not guilty, and the court may dismiss the charges.” See RCW 3.66.067. Sounds like a pretty good deal right? Wrong. Even after the charge is “dismissed” it will most likely appear on your record.

If you have already been through the court system on an M.I.P., you may want to run a background check on yourself to see if the charge appears on your record. To check your record, visit the Washington State Patrol site, and open an account. A background check cost only $10.  This is the site that most employers use when checking to see if applicants have a criminal record.  If the conviction appears, you may want to check to see if it can be vacated.

If you haven’t resolved your Minor in Possession of Alcohol case yet, you will want to an assurance (preferably in writing) from your lawyer that the matter will not appear on the State Patrol computer as a conviction.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s